Thursday, March 20, 2008

Lynde Shores Conservation Area

Yesterday my dad picked me up from school to go birding. At Lynde Shores, we saw many birds and I got chased by a hissing Canada Goose. But I'll talk about that later. As we pulled into the parking lot, I noticed a donation box. So we paid 2 dollars and we began our walk. First we went to the bird feeder trail and put seed on our hand. Soon Black-capped Chickadees came to our hand, I got ready to take a picture and we forgot our memory card! So we keep on walking and soon Downy Woodpeckers, Red-winged Blackbirds, White-breasted Nuthatches, Mourning Doves and Northern Cardinals came. And once again for the fourth time a woodpecker came flying directly at my hand and I pulled it back. Because its sharp claws looked like it would hurt. I have to get over that fear! So once again the woodpecker nearly landed on my hand for the fourth time! Awell, after that we keep on walking 'till we saw Mallards eating thistle seed. We feed them sunflower seeds and a goose came running in hissing. I noticed it had a tag on its foot and it said 427. And then I did a really dumb thing! I crouched down running at it hissing. Which was the dumbest thing I've probably ever done birding. I was soon chased by a goose sticking its touge out at me so I had to run and finally it stopped chasing me. After that I wanted to leave immediately! And this is not the first time its ever happened to me. Although the time when I got chased by a turkey and the time I got chased by a peacock. But that time I didn't chase them. Anyway after that we drove home talking about our next planed birding trip.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool! Sounds like you had quite the adventure!

omalois said...

Sounds like you had a great time with your dad, but I can't believe you forgot your memory card. It reminds me of the day at Wildlife Zoo in AZ :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Sam! This is Mrs. Crosby in AZ. I can't believe you pulled your hand back from a woodpecker.... come on, be brave. Next time you might have an exciting emergency room story as well to blog about.

Great blog on birds! Very interesting.

Michele said...

I can't believe you forgot the memory card either!!! Just like at the zoo!
So where are you and dad going next??
Mom

Anonymous said...

I must say this is a very interesting blog. I can't believe you forgot your memory card!!! I will be checking in to see if you find a Cedar Waxwing. I have never seen a bird so beautiful.

Birdman said...

Hello,
anonymous-Thank you, I did have quite the adventure.
omalois-I did have a great time with my dad.
linda crosby-I can't believe I'm scared of a woodpecker.
michele-We are going to a variety of places next time.
anonymous-I will let you know when I spot a Waxwing.