Friday, April 25, 2008

Mallard Nest

Today as I arrived in Kitchener I first went to the Mallard nest I was told about. At first I thought they were mistaken, but my dad soon shook the bush and it jumped out at him. Then it went back in the bush at a position that I could see it. I took some pictures of it then left it alone because it was probably very stressed after this. I soon went to help my dad unpack the trailer and unfortunately many Brown-headed Cowbirds were feeding at our unfinished bird feeder station. My brother wanted to scare the nest parasites (cowbirds) away but I said there was also many other types of birds there too and the cowbirds usually come back after being flushed. Oh well, despite the nest parasites I am happy to hear Mallards are reproducing. I will soon get some more info ie; when they courted, mated, started and finished the nest and when the female laid the eggs. I will also try to post some close photos of the nest if the female doesn't think I'm a harm to her nest. Maybe while the female is incubating the nest I could get a picture of the male bringing food to the family. Also, I just found out that Mourning Doves have a difference between each gender.
Birdman

3 comments:

Ruth said...

There is lots to see around the house and fields where you are. The little pond between the church and the road is interesting too. Hope you come up next weekend!!

Anonymous said...

Sam, Let me know when you get pictures of the mallard nest. I can't wait to see it.
Mrs. Crosby

DerpaLerp said...

hi sam its brandon from school how u doing, i made a blog account. well see u at school. (: