Saturday, April 19, 2008

Squirrel-proof Yard

I have not done a blog in since the 15th because I was playing football. Anyway, I think I finally have the solution on how to stop squirrels, combine all the great ideas together like "if you can't bet 'em, join 'em". Well, here it is.
1. Place baffles on all your feeders.
2. Place feeders far trees or anywhere else squirrels can jump from.
3. Use cage feeders that have the special grove for a perch.
4. Use safflower seed.
5. Provide a squirrel feeding station far from the feeders.
That is my idea, but you don't have to limit it to these five ideas. You can use even more if necessary.
Birdman

6 comments:

Ruth said...

As you point out so well, it is impossible to have a squirrel proof yard. You have to accommodate them as well as the birds.

omalois said...

squirrels, squirrels, squirrels. i think they are here to stay in my yard. no matter how i try to make them leave they always come back :-)

Anonymous said...

I collected some info on squirrel proofing that might give you some other ideas. I think a corn spike placed far away from the bird feeder is a good option. Hope this helps ya :)
squirrelproofer.com

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you are working on keeping your squirrels away from the feeders. I live by my squirrel proof feeder! I never thought it would work but works like a charm (but isn't raccoon proof)!

Birdman said...

Hello,

ruth-Yes, but I am accomodate squirrels and the birds. I agree also it is impossible to have a squirrel proof yard.

omalois-I am accomodating both animals but I also agree that it is impossible to have a squirrel proof yard.

jaki - squirrel proof feeder-That idea worked well for me. I will be sure to check your website.

mon@rch-Yes, I also have major problems with raccoons.

Goodbye,
Birdman

The Zen Birdfeeder said...

Can I help you a little more?
Squirrels can jump 4-5 feet straight up so make sure the baffle is at least that high and that the feeders aren't dangling lower.
Squirrels can jump 8-10 feet horizontally.
Great job, Birdman!