Monday, May 4, 2009

Thickson Woods

Last Saturday I went birding with my dad at Thickson Woods. We saw many cars parked beside the conservation area. They were all birders, we got excited thinking they were here because of a rare, recent sighting, but they came because they thought it was a great place to bird. Everyone had the same field guide: A Field Guide to Birds East of the Rockies By: Roger Tory Peterson. First we went to the open field part, there we heard an extremely fast song, I soon recognized as the same bird I saw at my house recently, a House Wren. Also, Tree Swallows filled the area; catching bugs, mating and building nests. The last time I saw Tree Swallows was probably last autumn. Anyway, we walked on to the forest and a group of birders had their binoculars up, pointed at a tree. I looked and saw a small orange figure singing a fimiliar song to a robin. It was a Baltimore Oriole, when the group left an Orchard Oriole came! They have one of the most variable songs, but all birds are unique for something. I soon heard a kinglet in a nearby tree, so I aimed my binoculars and spotted it gleaning insects of branches (common behaviour of kinglets.) The trail lead to another group of birders watching a small thrush, so I came closer and identified it was an Ovenbird. It appeared to be flushed not knowing where to go as it was cornered, not singing just perched on a log. Is this common behaviour of under-leaf scavengers, or was it frightened, submit your ideas in the comment box (below this post.) I walked to the next part of the trail while my dad searched for the Ovenbird. The part of the trail I was now in was filled with warbler songs, they all song at the same time so all I could identify was a Yellow-rumped Warbler and a Nashville Warbler. Both very secretive birds always high up in trees. I then met up with dad and we went to the marsh, there we watched a Short-tailed Weasel feed its young, baby rats. Soon other birders came still following the same Baltimore Oriole, but a small brown figure caught my eye in the cattails. I soon recognized the; brown crown, white supercillium (eyeline,) and off white breast from our previous, annual trip to Point Pelee National Park. It was a Marsh Wren and there was also Gadwalls, a Red-bellied Woodpecker, American Robins and Red-winged Blackbirds in the background, mixed between a marsh with dead trees and forest-floor-like habitat. This evening I went birding to the same spot with my mom, we parked got and we heard Cooper's Hawks, Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, a Tennessee Warbler and everything on Saturday too. We didn't stay for long because it was getting dark so we left.
Total Names of Birds Seen:
Red-winged Blackbird
Northern Cardinal
Black-capped Chickadee
Brown-headed Cowbird
Brown Creeper
American Crow
Mourning Dove
Gadwall (Check for 2009)
American Goldfinch
Canada Goose
Common Grackle
Rose-breasted Grosbeak (Check for 2009)
Ring-billed Gull
Herring Gull
Cooper's Hawk
Blue Jay
Dark-eyed Junco
Killdeer
Golden-crowned Kinglet
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Mallard
Baltimore Oriole
Orchard Oriole (Check for 2009)
Ovenbird (Check for 2009)
Feral Pigeon
American Robin
Chipping Sparrow
House Sparrow
Song Sparrow
White-crowned Sparrow
European Starling
Tree Swallow (Check for 2009)
Mute Swan
Nashville Warbler (Check for 2009)
Tennessee Warbler (Check for Life List)
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Check for 2009)
Hairy Woodpecker (Check for 2009)
Red-bellied Woodpecker (Check for 2009)
House Wren
Marsh Wren (Check for 2009)
Total Number of Birds Seen: 42 species
I will show you prof of some of my sighting tomorrow.

3 comments:

omalois said...

What an interesting account of your birding trips. I'm amazed at how knowledgeable you are and how quickly you recognize the various birds.
Excellent and very interesting blog

Samuel said...

Good sightings!

hightex gmbh said...

This is beautiful bird pics