Saturday, April 7, 2007

Oshawa Creek

Today, my dad and I got up early and went to Oshawa Creek. It was quite cold this morning (-3 degrees celcius). Inspite of the freezing weather we were still able to see many species of wildlife. So here are some of the things we saw; Yellow-beiled Sapsucker, Hairy Woodpecker, Cape May Warbler, Franklin's Sparrow, Northern Cardinal, Common Raven, American Crow, White-breasted Nuthatch and more!

I also saw other animals courting. We saw a brown Mink which obviously had just come out of the water because it had a small fish in its mouth. I at first thought it was an otter but after we realized it was a Mink.

Lots and lots of people were fishing for Rainbow Trout but, not many of them caught any fish. Maybe we will bring our fishing rods next time?

Today is also my aunt Ruth, not cousin's, birthday. SO HAPPY BIRTHDAY AUNT RUTH!

Yesterday I watched The Living Lord's Supper at church. But, I didn't see The Ten Commandments yet, maybe I will watch it later. Tonight I'm going to my aunt Lori's house for Easter dinner.

Everyone, have a good Easter weekend!

8 comments:

Ruth said...

I need to go birding with you! I have never seen Hairy Woodpecker. How can you tell the difference between a mink and an otter. I am pretty sure I see otters in the river near us.
Happy Easter to you too.
Cousin Ruth

omalois said...

Keep blogging while I'm in AZ. I like knowing what birds and creatures you see when you go on your nature walks with your dad.

Birdman said...

Hello, body soul spirit. You can go birdwatching with me this summer. I not sure how to explain the diffrence between a Mink and a otter.
Bye,
birdman

Birdman said...

Hello, omalois. Ok, I will keep birdwatching. I will try to tell all the birds I see when I go birdwatching.
Bye,
Birdman

Heather said...

Hi, I'm Meghan but for this blog my name is Fly Chick. ha ha. Yesterday I saw a sparrow. By my bedroom window I have a nest, and every year a scruffy robin comes and lays her eggs. It's really cool. I'm an animal lover so I learn about animals everyday!
From,
Fly Chick
P.S. I went to my Grandma's house for an egg hunt. I found the second most choclate eggs!

Birdman said...

Hello, wing-nut or fly chick
Maby the sparrow was a House Sparrow, it depends where you live. We have a sparrow nest in our front yard and a American Robin nest in our back yard.
We had very chocolaty eggs too.
bye,
birdman

The Roother said...

Thanks for the birthday wishes birdman. I had lots of fun!
There has been no early morning songs from the tree outside my bedroom window ever since the weather became sub-zero...do you think maybe the birds are sleeping elsewhere? Actually, I kind of miss them. It really was a beautiful song to wake up to.

Birdman said...

hello rooother
you are welcome for the birthday wishes
bye,
birdman