Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Rare Winter Birds

Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch Interior Adult Female Nonbreeding Dark-eyed Junco Slate-colored Adult Male
This morning I woke up very late and went downstairs. I was about to go outside, but then I noticed about 5 centimeters of snow! So I sat down and had breakfast by the window, soon a flock of small birds came. I got my camera and took some photographs of them, they were Dark-eyed Juncos! They were in a mixed flock of various finches. I was about to finish my breakfast but then a bird came that I've never seen before, a rosy-finch and a different type of chickadee! I was very excited, what else will this unusual day bring; snow, rosy-finches, juncos, what next!? I finished my breakfast and was putting my dishes in the dishwater, but then my mom saw a heron! I've never seen one yet this year, finally! What a day! I was about to get The Sibley Guide to Birds to confirm my observations, but when I found it, it was in a very poor condition; missing pages, cover gone, split in three pieces and it had stains all over it from coffee. The result of studying it everyday for a few years, I'm going to have to start saving $53.00. When I found rosy-finches in the book, I was correct! Rosy-finches are here, they must be confused because the closest they come here is Michigan, United States and Quebec, Canada.
Total Names of Birds Seen:
Black-capped Chickadee
Boreal Chickadee (Check for Life List)
Cassin's Finch (Check for 2009)
Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch (Check for Life List)
House Finch
Purple Finch
Ring-billed Gull
Great Blue Heron (Check for 2009)
Dark-eyed Junco
Common Redpoll
Pine Siskin
House Sparrow
Total Number of Birds Seen: 12 species of birds
Goodbye,
Birdman
Check out my other blog at http://birdman-birdquiz.blogspot.com/

No comments: